Personal Injury Attorney: What They Do and Tips for Choosing One
A personal injury lawyer is a legal professional who represents people in personal injury cases, including car accidents, slip and fall injuries, medical malpractice claims, and product liability claims. Simply put, they represent clients who sustained injuries due to the negligence or carelessness of another party.
What Specifically Do Personal Injury Lawyers Do?
In simple terms, a personal injury lawyer helps people who have been injured to get compensation. When you are injured in an accident, they can help you get through the complicated personal injury claim process.
Their core functions include:
1. Gathering Evidence and Documentation to Prove Your Case. The personal injury lawyer will gather all the relevant documents, such as medical records, police reports, insurance policy, receipts of expenses incurred, etc., that can help you make your injury claim.
2. Identifying and Interviewing All Witnesses. The lawyer will also identify and talk to any potential witnesses of your accident, especially eyewitnesses who can testify in court on the cause of the incident that injured you.
3. Filing Injury Claims Against Negligent Parties. Once the evidence has been collected and witnesses interviewed, the personal injury lawyer will file personal injury claims against the negligent parties involved in your personal injury case so that you can be compensated for the injuries sustained.
4. Negotiating Personal Injury Settlements. Once all the evidence is gathered and documentation submitted to the negligent party's insurance company, the personal injury lawyer will negotiate with both sides' insurance companies to arrive at an amicable personal injury settlement for you.
Tips for Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer
When you've been injured in an accident, it's good to know how to find a personal injury lawyer. If you aren't sure where to start, here are five tips to help you make an informed choice:
- When considering hiring a personal injury lawyer, recommendations are vital. If a friend, family, or colleague has had a good personal injury lawyer, ask them who they used and why they were happy with them.
- Make sure the personal injury lawyer you choose has experience and expertise in personal injury law. Typically, personal injury lawyers will generally specialize in either car accidents or medical negligence claims.
- Find out how much personal injury lawyers charge for their services.
- Look at their profiles on personal websites to get a feel for the lawyer's personality and experience.
A personal injury lawyer helps victims who are injured get the compensation they may be entitled to receive. Their job is to investigate claims thoroughly and then build a case for personal injury legal action. In other words, they will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and sometimes negotiate with insurance companies. For more information, contact legal services like Siben & Siben LLP.