8 Survival Tips For Divorce Litigation
No matter how willing you and your ex-spouse may be to resolve contentious divorce issues outside of court, at some point litigation may become inevitable. The process of working out divorce issues in court can be exhausting, time-consuming and extremely stressful. To lessen the personal impact of a courtroom battle as well as save time and money, take the following 8 tips to heart.
1. Reducing the time and expense of litigation will make an enormous difference for all parties. Mediation can work wonders to help resolve some issues outside of the courtroom in a more relaxed setting. Even after you have begun litigation, a mediator can be employed to help work out particularly thorny issues outside of the courtroom.
2. Lawyers who take a collaborative, non-adversarial approach toward resolving differences in divorce settlements can save you court costs and lesson the chances for conflict.
3. Expect postponements and delays during the litigation process and keep close tabs on how much the courtroom time is costing you. Don't allow your pride to override your budget.
4. Litigation can sometimes bring out the worst in your spouse, but stay cool and don't participate in non-productive personal affronts.
5. Using the court system to punish your spouse will only end up costing you your self-respect with petty and useless arguments.
6. Divorce is already a traumatic event for your children; do your best to keep them away from the courtroom. On a related noted, a judge making a custody decision will be observing your courtroom behavior closely, so remember to be a good parent at all times, even if your children are not present.
7. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the divorce and courtroom horror stories of friends and family. While seeking support during this stressful time is vital, remember that your situation is unique.
8. If your divorce seems to be going on forever, and negotiations seem to be breaking down on certain issues, consider how much the issues you are fighting over really mean and how much it's costing you. The ability to let go and to compromise could bring litigation to an end and allow you to move forward with your life.
With a divorce, you are presented with an opportunity to see how positive and strong you can be. Going through divorce litigation can be a challenging experience, but with a competent divorce attorney, such as Law Office of Jeffrey Dragon, by your side to guide you, it doesn't have to be a negative event.